Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

We did decorate for Christmas this year, despite an initial suspicion by both Tyler and I that Tad, our brave and curious little guy, would totally wreak baby havoc on a tree. We kept things simple, used only plastic, and strategically placed our humble the tree in a corner where at least two sides were somewhat blocked from baby fingers. 

I even placed a colorful bowl of multi-sized ornaments and silver bead garland on the tree skirt (as an offering to the baby-versus-Christmas-tree gods??) to offer alternatives to Tad (and Dash) and keep them from pulling ornaments off the tree.

It worked...

Until about three days ago, when Tad got bored with the bowl and reached for an ornament on the tree. And down it came. Fortunately, the tree landed on the toy box, leaving Tad ample room to squirm from the wreckage unscathed. 

The tree, however, was badly shaken up.

And then it happened AGAIN. 

So now our tree literally looks like a three-year-old strung the garland, and the ornaments that I so strategically arranged to balance color and shape and just look uh-mazing are now haphazardly clinging with their last breath to random branches. The glitter of the ornaments is now all over the floor, and the flowers that added to the tip-top are broken and disheveled. 

It's quite a mess, really, and when you factor in the only other main Christmas decor in our home--some green lighted garland on our fire place whose lights stopped working half way down the strand,  it's also embarrassing! If I don't invite you in, now you know why!

For someone like me who spends too much just a right amount of time on Pinterest and has a mother with a doctorate degree in Christmas decorating, I am ashamed of my Christmas decor. And with fear of sounding like a scrooge, I want Christmas to hurry up and be over for the sole reason that I can take down my decorations! 

Oh well, I digress...

Here are a few pictures to prove, that despite it all, we have memories by golly! = )


Don't let Tyler fool you--I did all the work. He just posed for the picture. Again, because I insisted on catching a "memory" on camera. 

 Only in Texas can you 'trim your tree' in a diaper. 

 OK--that's it. That smile right there. That is why I decorated for Christmas. 

And to make it official, a jingle-bell wreath for the door. 
(And by this point, Tyler is done "making memories.")

No comments: