Thursday, December 1, 2011

Countdown to Christmas

Update: I kid you not, but not 20 minutes after typing this post, a friend on Facebook posted this link about a free printable advent chain! And here I thought I was so clever...JK! Anyways, I stole a few ideas to top off my 24 and added them to my hand-crafted chain (did I mention I used construction paper?!?) But I share the link in case you want to try to pull off an advent chair and start today--December 1! Just print it out and go! Let me know if you do!

Original Post
Today marks the first day of December, and even though not entirely correct, the first day of Advent in our household. If I'm not mistaken, Advent actually begins on the 4th Sunday before Christmas, but we're close!

Anyways, back to today--December 1--and exactly 24 days til Christmas. (Have you done your shopping yet?! I haven't!) Well, with a 3-year-old, 24 days til Christmas might as well be 24 hours or 16 months or heck, 10 minutes, so I decided to make an Advent calendar, per se, to help Dash (and Tad) have some concept of when Christmas is coming.

There are tons are super cute DIY Advent calendars all over the Internet; however, finding the time or energy or the energy at the right time to create one of these was just not going to happen. So this year, I'm kickin' it old school.

Enter the paper chain.




Simple enough concept: Each day Dash (or Tad) gets to remove one link until, Voila!, Christmas is here!

But true to Lauren-form (and to begin a lifelong pursuit of instilling Christian values in my boys), I've made this paper chain with a twist. Each link has a Christmas activity to do that day. So 24 activities for 24 days.

Some of the ideas include: Bake Christmas cookies; read the Christmas story; put on our pajamas and drive around to see Christmas lights; do a Christmas craft; donate to a food drive; visit Santa; watch a Christmas parade, etc., etc.

Yes, some of the activities require pre-planning. For instance, I'll have to have ingredients for cookies and all the supplies for a Christmas craft on hand on those days. And I'll have to make sure to schedule the "Christmas parade" one or the "food drive" one the day those events take place in town. But that's no biggie.

What matters most is that we're enjoying the entire season of Christmas and again, instilling those true Christmas values into our family.




2 comments:

Denise said...

Love that idea, too bad you didn't just make two (jk,kinda).Love ya girlie

Lindsey's Whimsy's said...

I love that... Very cute! Ya'll should come caroling at my house as a n activity